Original Link: Raws
Release Year: 2017
From the end of the horizon, a phoenix led millions of birds in flight. Behind it, a sky filled with billowing clouds that looked like a sea of flames skimmed over Chang’an. A golden-winged peng perched loftily atop the roof of the Xingqing Palace. In its eyes was reflected the splendor of the common people who lived in this Divine Land. In silence, dynasties rose and fell, and the tides ebbed and flowed.
Li Jinglong dragged along his wound-riddled body. From the palm of his hand, a brilliant light shone as he relentlessly drew closer to Hongjun.
“The living… are merely passing travelers…”
His deep voice resounded through the depths of the world, as the black fog that covered the sky and blanketed the earth receded before that light.
“The dead… return to their eternal homes.”
That light was the blazing sun that illuminated the heavens and the earth. It was the light of the stars that twinkled in the night sky. It was an everlasting Heart Lamp that pierced through the darkness.
“The heavens and the earth are… an inn; for all our grief we inevitably return… to dust.”
Li Jinglong closed his eyes, placing one hand on Hongjun’s forehead. The white light dispersed, illuminating the mountains of corpses and rivers of blood that filled the battlefield. In the shadows cast by the light of that lamp, the memories came: the flamboyant debauchery in Pingkang Li, the parasol tree in the Exorcism Department bathing in the light of the summer sun, the swirling sand and fluttering snow of Saiwai, the clear, spring-like sound of A-Tai’s song, the new green leaves that Mo Rigen and Lu Xu picked, the flying brushstrokes of Qiu Yongsi’s pen, which evolved into immortal verses that graced Li Bai’s cup —
A young nobleman strolled through the Eastern Market of Chang’an,
Enjoying the breeze as he rode his white horse on a silver saddle.
After admiring the falling flowers, where does he like to go?
He smiles as he enters a Hu-run wine shop.
Professor moon explains:
Connection to Dinghai Fusheng Records: Tianbao is a loose sequel to Dinghai, but both can be read on their own (you won’t be missing much)! In fact, Tianbao was published before Dinghai, so the order really doesn’t matter! (If you're interested, you can also check out Post Training Notice: National First-Class Registered Exorcist, or Mingwang for short, the modern sequel.)
Timeline: This novel starts in the Tianbao era (742 – 756 CE) of the reign of Emperor Xuanzong of Tang (618-907), a mere five decades after the fall of the short-lived Zhou Dynasty (690-705), when Empress Wu Zetian seized power from her nephew.
Characters: Some of the characters who get named are famous poets or painters/important persons of the Tang dynasty, but we’ll provide tl notes for them as we go.
Indonesian, by the lovely dee and team
Russian, by the awesome @ChirikaLiht
Spanish, by the amazing paradiseofbooks
Turkish, by the wonderful Bu'gui translations team
Brazilian Portuguese, by the glorious MDZS Brazil team
Translated Chapters: (Sort)
- Chapter 1 - Three Sages of Yaojin
- Chapter 2 - Remnants of Old Times
- Chapter 3 - Boundless Oceans and Vast Skies
- Chapter 4 - Sacred Light Enters the World
- Chapter 5 - The Longwu Li Clan
- Chapter 6 - Living Under Someone’s Roof
- Chapter 7 - Hai Mie Hou Bi
- Chapter 8 - The Exorcists’ Superior Officer
- Chapter 9 - Newcomers
- Chapter 10 - The Renewal of All Things
- Chapter 11 - Forces Split in Two
- Chapter 12 - Undertaking An Official Task
- Chapter 13 - Return to Pingkang
- Chapter 14 - The Dried Corpse Under the Bed
- Chapter 15 - The Blurred Events of the Past
- Chapter 16 - Foxhunting in the Depth of Night
- Chapter 17 - The Strategy to Lure Yao
- Chapter 18 - Beijiao Palace
- Chapter 19 - Fei Ao’s Death Sentence
- Chapter 20 - The Prince of Persia
- Chapter 21 - Ancient Sword Name
- Chapter 22 - Searching For Yaos In The Academy
- Chapter 23 - A Debt That Will Be Repaid
- Chapter 24 - Meeting the Emperor at Mt. Li
- Chapter 25 - Rounding Up In The Examination Hall
- Chapter 26 - Compassion
- Chapter 27 - Nightingale of the Spring Dawn
- Chapter 28 - Frequently Occurring Murder Cases
- Chapter 29 - The Scenes of the Crimes
- Chapter 30 - Searching for Tracks Underground
- Chapter 31 - Waiting Passively for a Windfall
- Chapter 32 - A Desperate Counterattack
- Chapter 33 - Igniting the Heart Lamp
- Chapter 34 - An Artifact for Escape
- Chapter 35 - Throwing Knives Becoming One
- Chapter 36 - A Chang’an Filled with Yao
- Chapter 37 - Coming Prepared
- Chapter 38 - The Princes Li of Tang
Translated Extras: (Sort)